04 January 2012

Age vs. Technology

Let's start from the beginning.  I learned how to use computers when they were still the size of cars.

(I can feel my wrinkles deepening as I type)

I remember using DOS commands as a rule of thumb.

I once used bulletin boards to talk to strange people.

My email address consists of my simply my initials and comcast.net

I can efficiently use a typewriter.

Getting the picture here?

Okay, with all that laid out, I've found that I've reached that age where I'm asking my daughter how to do technical things.  Or my husband who doesn't count as far as age goes because he's a terminal techno-weenie.

It took me forty seven minutes to figure out how to add an mp3 file to my phone as a ring tone.

I sat in front of the PS3 for about ten minutes wondering why I couldn't get to my game before my daughter informed me that I had to scroll over to the games tab to get to them.

Forget about trying to make videos or avi files or anything like that.

It's happened.  I've become the parent who needs help from their kids to function in the virtual world.  Like those parents who used to call and complain that they couldn't program the vcr.

On the plus side:


I know how to change a tire.

I can ride the heck out of a riding lawn mower.

I've taken apart a chain saw and put it back together again.

I can build furniture that comes in a box.

I can make a budget and balance a checkbook.

I can prepare an entire meal without a cookbook or instructions.

I can read a map.  As long as I can turn it to the direction that's straight ahead and not worry about north, south, east and west!

I know how to change the oil in a car and can even change out a serpentine belt.

Just don't ask me to make a video how to for any of it.

8 comments:

  1. Haha, my dad talks of the same stuff. He's a wonderful person. He can repair stuff, fix lights, do carpentry work, type fast, can do plaumbing work, work on typewriters but can never ever know how to make a video or photoshop stuff. :)

    And thanks for coming back. Please keep writing regularly. It's like inspiration. Love you loads and missed ya. Happy New year! :)

    - Dawn xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you remember the bulleting board thing that they had just before the internet got to be a big thing? I wanna say Compuserve, but I think maybe it was something else. I tried to look it up, but I barely know what I'm talking about (as I'm sure you can tell), so I couldn't find anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do! I don't remember the name of the main one, there were lots of little ones, it seemed like everyone who had a computer to use as a server was setting one up. My screen name was DragonLady lol I think people were scared of me! We're telling everyone how old we are now though, so shhhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy new year - I LOVE your blog! :-)

    Ramona
    http://create-with-joy.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prodigy! It finally hit me at work last night, out of the blue. I kept thinking it had something to do with "smart" or "genius" or something. (At least, that's the one I remember.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally relate to this. I love techi toys, but it takes me forever to figure it out. I have FIRE coming for the castle tomorrow. I'm so excited.. I'm so scared..

    ReplyDelete
  7. LMAO! I am the same way!!!
    I have to ask my kids all the time how to do that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ~the more you know~ lol I have to admit I don't even know most of the things are you list... for example anything to do with a car. Luckily I don't have one so I guess that can slide right??

    I also remember when the "floppy's" for the computer were thin and the size of a cd case. Not to mention I remember when cds first came out *sigh* I remember my first yellow/black walkman!

    ReplyDelete

Make a Mama Kitty happy today! Say hi!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...